[AMPS] 6m KW-class Amp design?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 6m KW-class Amp design?
From: pfrenning@idc.com (pfrenning@idc.com)
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 09:54:36 +0200

Thanks everybody for all the feed-back, especially Rich, Shawn, Ian, Carl and
others who have responded privately (and presumably prefer to remain anonymous).

I was very aware of Ian's designs, and was planning to use some (or all) of it,
only deplorable that the book doesn't contain a complete 6m design! (I own a
well worn copy of your book Ian!)

I need to spend more effort on cathode/anode to Grid1 feed-back.

The reasoning behind adding an attenuator in front of the input tuning circuit
is twofold:
1) to guard against mishaps when using my tranceiver which can put out 100W on
Six, I don't like the idea of two exploding 4CX350s!; and
2) to make absolutely certain to present a 50 ohm resistive load to the
tranceiver, thus keeping it unconditionally happy!

I was unaware of the advantages of raising the cathode to Gnd potential to
-400V, and will certainly do something about that.

Otherwise I conclude that the basic design has been "approved" by the group, and
that my basic design parameters are sound.

Rest assured that you'll hear more about this as the project progresses, I hope
to have it up and running before the end of the year.

73s de OZ1PIF, Peter
36 DXCC countries/225+ grids on Six, and working hard to improve on it!
(That's what I need the Beast for)