[AMPS] filament voltage questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] filament voltage questions
From: Steve_Jackson@BayNetworks.COM (Steve Jackson)
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 16:55:01 -0400
Scenario:

I have a Fluke 77 DVM (not RMS-reading, AFAIK).  I show 243.5 VAC on my
dedicated 20A, 240V line in the shack, amp unplugged, no other load on this
branch.  Run is about 45 feet of 10/3 copper Romex to the breaker panel,
adjacent to the meter.

I have 400 amp service at my home, with no other home sharing the service
transformer.  I split the feed to two separate 200A panels, and run about
1/2 the house off each one.  The local power substation is 1/2 mile away.
Pretty stiff supply, doesn't budge much.

After I send this message, I am going downstairs to measure the filament
voltage on my L7 amp.  I haven't done this before; I probably will
tack-solder leads onto the fil pins so I can meter the voltage from outside
the amp, with the amp sitting level, and covers on.  Safety first, you know.

(Why don't amplifiers have filament volt-and/or-ammeters built in, or at
least test points for this?  Tubes ain't cheap anymore.)

I intend to look at the voltage on the tube side of the choke, to account
for any I2R loss in that component.

So, there's the situation.  Here are the questions:

1.  I assume the Fluke measures P-P voltage, and is this an issue?  I can't
think of a reason why it would be, but... perhaps the 3-500Z 5-volt
filament spec is in RMS volts?

2.  Suppose that the filament voltage is a bit high.  What are some good
ways to cut it down?  I was thinking a small resistor in series with the
primary, as the L7 has a separate fils transformer, and the primary wires
are easy to get to.

3.  What if it's too low?  ;-)

TIA

Steve KZ1X/4