[AMPS] Re: RF choke resonates around 23.4 Mhz errr 22.4

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: RF choke resonates around 23.4 Mhz errr 22.4
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 98 13:52:02 -0500
>> Don't remove too many or it will resonante too close to 28 MHz.  I'd try to
>get the resonance somewhere around 25 MHz or so.
>
>In that case I´m in trouble with the 12 meters band. I´ll try just 23.4
>and see if there is any change in the 24.9Mhz tunning.If
>I go higher... I´m sure the Choke´s Q will degrade and might affect 12 and
>10 meters.

Yep, if you are trying to operate on 12m then you are in trouble.  It's a tough
predicament.  You can't go too high in resonant frequency or else your
impedance lower in frequency will be too low.  And you gotta make sure you stay
away from amateur bands.

You could try going with a larger choke and resonante the beast around 11 or 12
MHz.  Hopefully, your second resonance point would be outside of or not near
ham bands.  Your impedance will also probably still be large enough that you
don't have any low impedance issues on the higher bands.

Or you could use 2 seperate chokes and switch them in and out depending on what
bands you are using (big value choke for say, 80 and 40 meteres and a small
value choke for 30, 20, 17, 15, 12 and 10).

Good luck.

73,

Jon
KE9NA