[AMPS] RE: HV switched mode PSU

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RE: HV switched mode PSU
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 11:43:07 +0100
Peter Chadwick wrote:

>I believe G4DGU did some work on this some years ago. I don't know if he has
>an Internet address - G3SEK might know.

If he did, it didn't come to anything. The only reference I have was in
an old QEX (index details will be on the ARRL BBS or web site, and ISTR
there was a follow-up) which describes a PS for a pair of 3CX800s. The
transformer was a double stack of ferrite rings, rather like a giant
output transformer for a transistor PA. The other major feature of that
design was a total disregard of RFI!

It used devices that were rather special at the time, which was maybe
why it never caught on. As switching MOSFETs have progressed so much,
and maybe IGBTs would be useful, the topic would be worth revisiting.

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek