[AMPS] Purpose of CW/SSB switch

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Purpose of CW/SSB switch
From: w4eto@rmii.com (Richard W. Ehrhorn)
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 10:46:59 -0600
Hi Matt...

The primary reason for providing the LO tap on earlier models was to allow
safe and efficient CW operation at 1 kW dc input, the FCC limit pre-19'77.

It's generally fine to run the older ALPHAs in the HI/SSB (high plate
voltage) mode on CW as long as you don't exceed about 1 kW d-c plate power
input AVERAGED OVER A FEW MINUTES. Heavy contesting "run" operation is
probably one of the toughest operating conditions wrt duty cycle, and the
smaller amps using 8874 tubes probably shouldn't be pushed to 1.5 kW output
under these conditions - 1000W is safer.

The ultimate criteria are transformer and tube seal temperatures. If you
keep the transformer below ~80 deg C (~176 deg F) and the tube seals below
200 deg C MAX you should be safe even though "pushing." Of course it takes
a bit of "savvy" to make these measurements, and as Carl often warns,
anyone who isn't really knowledgeable and comfortable working with
dangerous HV inside a big amp shouldn't take the chance!

77Dx and Sx series amps should be perfectly happy running 1.5 kW output all
day on any mode.

73,    Dick