[AMPS] relay specs needed.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] relay specs needed.
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 98 23:31:56 -0000

>I picked up a couple of new looking transco relays today and would like
>the spec for them.The first one is a "Y" type with 115 VAC coils and N
>type sockets,the part number is 11870.I was thinking of using it as the
>main antenna changeover relay on my 8877 for 6m.I'm sure I read
>somewhere that the power handling was quite good on these.I will be
>using a TR sequencer and the relay will not be hot switched.
>The 2nd type says Switch RF XMSN LINE and has 28vdc coils.The part
>number on this one is 15300-12.I paid 10 UKP each for them,it seemed
>like a very good deal to me.
>I also got a couple of Jennings Vac relays type RJIA26NI067,I was
>thinking of using these to swich off the eht during fault conditions,is
>this ok if it comes after a 50 ohm series resistor?Or will it continue
>to arc?What is the DC rating for these devices?

I believe the Transco "Y" relays will handle 2 or 3 kW.  Problem is they
have weird coil voltages.  But they should work great on 6 meters.  Seem
like well built switches.

Also, you have to alternately apply voltage to each side of the switch.
(ie: To have your path from common port to port 1 apply voltage at port
one.  To have your path from common port to port 2 apply voltage at port
two.  Then to switch back again you remove the voltage from port 2 and
apply to port one.)  It's different than most relays where you just apply
the voltage to engage the relay and remove it to disengage.  It may be a
latching relay meaning you could remove the voltage and still keep the
connection.

73,

Jon
KE9NA