[AMPS] AL1200

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL1200
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 10:19:44 -0400

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998 05:21:42 GMT wrt@eskimo.com (Bill Turner, W7TI)
writes:

>On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 23:34:31 -0400, km1h@juno.com wrote:
><snip>
>>The AL-1200 is still a top choice for contesters.
>SSB and CW, perhaps, but not for RTTY unless the cooling of the 80/160
>meter tank circuit has been improved recently.  I smoked mine twice
>while contesting and finally sold it to a non-RTTY operator.  My 91B
>requires no babying.
>
>73, Bill W7TI

I guess I'm an old fashioned type Bill. Never been on RTTY and pbly never
will so I just tend to ignore the mode!
I never could get a straight answer why Ameritron uses a Pi-L on 80-160M.
One "expert" claimed it was to improve efficiency. If so he neglected to
transfer that new found efficiency out to the load.

Glad to hear about the 91b...I hear praises also but have only been
inside one once.

73  Carl   KM1H

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]