[AMPS] 3cx3000a7 versus 4cx15000

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3cx3000a7 versus 4cx15000
From: irosky@yahoo.com (igor rosky)
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 21:13:28 -0700 (PDT)

I read comments on the 3cx3000, i think it is a very good tube for the
price, the reasoning behind my arguments is this

 a station runs an 8281 @ 20 kw he has the money!
 I am a dreaming little pistol  wanting to get  close and compete with
this station

The 3cx3000a7 for ecconomy and simplicity of construction delivers
7000watts with very little complication, without super high voltages,
screen and grid supplies, grid neatralization circuits. Its is
economically feasable. The big bun with 20kw will have 4.5db more
signal with a huge complicated installation of power supply, blowers
and extremely expensive components which cost thousands new, and
rarely available surplus, or when available unreasonble for surplus
parts.

Hence the 3cx3000 is a tube that can deliver results that are very
close 1.55db within reach of a 8171, and 4.55db within reach of 8281,
since i believe in 10db increases for results, ie

from 1000 to 10000
     1500 to 15000
     15000 to 150,000

Since the last figure of 150,000 watts is impossible except for
meglomaniac millionares, for the average person wanting to come close
to these super amps, the 3cx3000a7 delivers, albeit with 400 watts
drive. Also building a power supply can be achieved very simply with
an existing plate transformer and doubler, most parts at the required
voltage are more readily available. Secondly i think the 3000 new is
bargain, the warranty is fantastic, it would be cheaper to build with
a 3000 rather than multiple 4cx1600 or 8877s, and look at the grid
dissapation, drive it with 100 and it will last a life time! I have
access to many surplus russian 8281s hence i am building with what i
have, if was in the states i think i would use the 3000.

anyway just some thoughts

Igor