[AMPS] Rf Sampler circuits 10kw wattmetres Rf Ampmeters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Rf Sampler circuits 10kw wattmetres Rf Ampmeters
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 14:30:25 -0400

On Sat, 26 Sep 1998 20:24:47 -0700 (PDT) igor rosky <irosky@yahoo.com>
writes:

>Can anybody help me with a circuit for a high power Rf sampler for
>scope and spectrum analyser measurments.

If you are only looking for RF and not frequency dependent accuracy a
simple directional coupler line sampler can be built. You can design the
sample port for just about any level you want.

Take a look at the old "Millimatch" SWR circuits in 70's era ARRL
Handbooks....also used in the Heath SB-200. The diode section can be used
as a tuning indicator and you would tap off from the RF side with a
suitable capacitor for sampling.

Another option would be to tap off directly from the Load cap with a
capacitor made from 10KW coax. You would have to experiment a bit to find
a value that covers your frequency range.

 Bird has one but only handles
>low power.  Secondly why has Rf ampmeters lost favor for measuring
>high power RF. I need to measure power at 10kw plus, a Bird solution
>seems expensive, but a Rf ampmeterc would work quite well and
>accurately, am i missing something

I have not seen a high power RF ampmeter since my 1960's Navy days.
There are many non-catalog Bird line sections and elements that show up
on the surplus market. 10KW 2-30MHz is quite common. They often have EIA
flanges with adaptors to type LC connectors for RG-17 type coax.

73   Carl   KM1H