[AMPS] Re: Your comment about Svetlana 572b's

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Your comment about Svetlana 572b's
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 00:08:27 -0400

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:38:49 -0700 (PDT) david wintheiser
<w0opw@yahoo.com> writes:
> Carl,  please elucidate on your commnet about Svetlana 572b's.  Not
>that I have any,  just curious why you downgrade the tubes - Pat W0OPW

The reason is that I have had continual problems with them in certain
amps. I believe that the difference in capacitance due to the ceramic
base plus the higher gain can make a marginally stable amp go parasitic.
They are also not rated at 6M but that is a different issue and I suspect
that Svetlana was aware of the instability when they wrote the spec
sheet.

A redesigned parasitic suppressor works well.

In the case of the Yaesu FL-2100 the factory AND Svetlana mods are
marginal in providing sufficient cut-off voltage. I had to add parts to
develop -125VDC cut-off as in the SB-200 in order to support all tubes.

The above mods are doable by a technically competent person but that
leaves out the majority of hams today.

My last pair of Svetlana's are doing modulator duty in my Clegg Zeus.

73  Carl   KM1H

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]