[AMPS] Clipperton L & Bad tubes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Clipperton L & Bad tubes
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 98 11:59:36 -0800

> Here's why I made that suggestion.  I have a Dentron 160-10L,  the
>older brother to the clipperton.  It has a 2200 volt plate transformer
>and was designed for 4 811a's .  The rather crude owners manual
>advises the user to replace the 811a's with 572b's for mucho power/Qrm
>!. I'm converting it for 2 572b's.
> Info on the Web(AG6K ?)

 I don't think so.  The 811A is rated at 1250V in plate modulated
service.  In ssb service the 811A does pretty ok up to about 1900v -
provided that tuneup is done with a cw keyer sending dits or a tuning
pulser.  572Bs can stand much more anode voltage and anode dissipation
due to the graphite anode material.

>states that 811a's and 572b's are swappable.
>I think the newer manufactured 811a's handle the higher voltages just
>fine.

Some 811As  use thicker anode material.

-  later, Pat

Rich...