[AMPS] SB-220 Mods

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220 Mods
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 98 15:40:18 -0800
>I just completed installing the Rich Measures QSK circuit in one of my
>SB-220s and it works great. Clackity-clack absolutely gone, noise and relay
>delay no longer perceptible.  Really fast, smooth VOX. VOX delay set now to
>minimum.

With headphones, it's almost like talking on the telephone.

>Every measurement in testing is exactly as in the Measures circuit diagram.
>
>I am now going to modify another SB-220 with this circuit.  There is plenty
>of room for a circuit board for this entire circuit after the clackity clack
>is removed.  Has anybody ever produced such?

Since the circuit is very simple and Q1 needs to be mounted against metal
to act as a heat sink, there is little advantage in a printed circuit
board.  Another problem is that different types of amplifiers have
different height and width limitations.

>And to Rich - The silicone adhesive really stops or greatly dampens the
>noise.  I believe the thick silicone insulation on HV test lead wire (26KV
>type) will dampen the relay noise and would be an acceptable alternative to
>the tedious copper foil fabrication and soldering for two of the
>connections.  Perhaps slitting and removing the insulation from a length of
>HV test lead and applying it to the heavy wire to the HV RF section with a
>dab or so of silicone will dampen the noise also.

bend an "S" shape into flexible wire and vibration is greatly attenuated.

-  thanks for the feedback, Bob

Rich...