[AMPS] Capacitor voltage rating?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Capacitor voltage rating?
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 11:28:36 +0100
Fraser Robertson wrote:

>I am building a HF LPF to handle 150W.  In a 50R system that equates to 87V
>rms, or 245Vpp.

True, but the filter sections are impedance-transforming L networks so
the impedances inside the filter can be several times higher than 50R.

>I have some polystyrene capacitors rated at 630V dc.  Would these be ok?
>How do I de rate the dc voltage for RF?  Presumably it depends on the
>dielectric.  Would I be better off with silvered mica caps, readily
>available at 500V dc rating?

Yes, much better! Silvered micas also have the current-carrying
capability for the kinds of power levels you're using (but they die at a
kilowatt on 144).

>I appreciate that the voltage could go higher into a non 50R resistive load.
>They seem to get away with very small capacitors in modern black boxes.

"Get away with" is probably pretty accurate. However, those boxes also
tend to use VSWR protection.

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek