[AMPS] 3-500z question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3-500z question
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 98 08:25:02 -0800

>The 3-500z in my SB1000 seems to be getting a little tired.  It seems to take
>more drive to get less grid current and output then before, and power
>seems to
>drop off as it gets warm.
>
>I'm going to open it up (the amp, not the tube) and look around.  While
>I'm at it, I'm going to bring the filament pins to the back of the chassis
through a
>couple of 10k resistors so I can have a convenient place to check the voltage.

... good idea.  Numerous owners have reported filament potentials above
the specified range of 4.75 tp 5.25 Vrms.

>My question is twofold:  First, does anyone have a suggestion as to what
>to look for other than the tube?

If Pout drops when the amplifier is hot, tank component heating is more
likely the reason than a problem with the 3-500Z.
-  If you are able to get 400mA of plate/anode current with 65w drive,
the tube is still good.  //  Note:  The Eimac spec. is 400mA max.  As I
understand it, there is a statement in the manual about using 500mA.
Even though such a current may be possible with over-drive, linear
amplification will not result.

-  later, Vic

Rich. Measures.  Web site:  www.vcnet.com/measures