[AMPS] Re: Antenna System power ratings

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Antenna System power ratings
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 98 19:40:48 -0000
>N connectors will handle high power, but only if they are in good
>condition, perfectly assembled and perfectly mated. Otherwise they're
>just coaxial fuses.
>
>>I know of a company I used to call on who makes paging transmitters.
>>They had a lot of N connectors in their system that they would run at 500
>>Watts at 900 MHz.  One of the engineers told me they burned up a LOT of N
>>connectors literally and that it was one of the major field issues.  They
>>had a bunch of Ns in their system as "blind-mate" connectors (push on -
>>so they could slide modules in and out of racks. Customers don't want to
>>"screw" on cables).
>
>That's really asking for trouble, because assembly tolerances will
>almost guarantee imperfect mating if there's nothing to pull each pair
>of connectors together.

I think this is what my customer determined.  That the "unsure"
matability of the Ns in a blind mate configuration was giving them
trouble.  Everything was switched to screw on N-Connectors or 7/16th's
where possible.

We even developed a blind mate 7/16 for them!  But that was avoided as it
showed up the same time they had their N connector problems.

So I'll agree that in most cases where an N is properly assembled it is
likely OK for amateur use.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

ps: Interesting discussion on power limits.  Is there anywhere in the
world where power is NOT limited for hams???  Or at least above 1.5 KW is
legal???

Jon Ogden
KE9NA

http://www.qsl.net/ke9na