[AMPS] Re: N connectors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: N connectors
From: amps@txrx.demon.co.uk (Steve Thompson)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 08:27:34 +0100
snip

>There are also many varieties of the UG-21 designator...up to letter D or
>maybe higher. Contrary to some belief, the N will work fine with RG-8 or
>RG-213 as well as double shield RG-9, 214, etc. The UG-21 is a Mil-Spec
>designator and it has been used with single and double shield cables as
>long as I can remember.

Not all brands cope with both. The most common one in UK is Greenpar
(now part of M/A Com) which is a very good connector but which won't
take double screen without reaming out the clamping nut.

There's another point which I've noticed in lab use. With regular
flexing, the inner contacts can migrate forwards. I've found this on
RG213/4 and RG8. When it goes too far the tulip on the socket gets
broken when the coupling nut is tightened - very embarassing if it's on
client's equipment! I now use a depth guage regularly to check them.

Steve