[AMPS] Advice on Amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Advice on Amps
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 10:51:48 -0500

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998 09:44:16 -0500 "N3GPU" <pelliott@flash.net> writes:

>I've been following this reflector the past few months.  It's a shame
>there
>are no strongly-held opinions here ;-)...
>
>Not having owned an amp in over 15 years, I plan to get one again
>soon.  My
>parameters, in no particular order:
>
>- "True" KW out on 160 through 10 including 12 and 17 if possible -
>not
>de-rated for some bands
>- QSK internal or external
>- Ability to hold up through a 48-hour contest SSB-RTTY-CW
>- $1.5K budget, somewhat flexible
>- Would much rather have used quality than new headaches
>- Un-finicky tuneup & loading into reasonably well-matched antennas

I have always championed the Ameritron AL-1200 Paul. It is long proven by
contesters
but I would not want to push 1500W on RTTY. The AL-1500 is another
choice.
Older 2 and 3 hole Alphas with manual tune will do a good job, again not
full bore on RTTY, and easy to get on WARC...12M is the stock choke
issue.

Ten Tec Titan is a fine product but I have not seen one at $1500 yet.

The B&W PT-2500A will run 1500W+  CW/SSB and 1200W RTTY.

If you are really on a tight budget, the old MLA-2500 is a choice as long
as the tubes are in top condx. 1500W SSB/CW and 800-900W on RTTY.  Easy
choke mod for 12M.

The Amp Supply LK-500ZC will run 1300-1500W SSB/CW and is full QSK.

Getting full QSK along with ur other requirements really is tuff in your
price range. However the Ameritron internal/ external QSK unit is
available.

GL  Carl  KM1H

>I'm going to throw myself on the tender mercies of the subscribers
>here and
>solicit opinions...
>
>- Specific amps you've had good/bad experience with -- I'm interested
>in
>details
>- Specific features you feel are important to look for, and why,
>either in
>view of or in addition to my parameters above
>
>Please -- I'm not soliciting amps for sale -- I'm looking for advice.
>Since
>this could turn into a big thread, please respond directly to me so we
>don't
>clutter the reflector.  If anyone is interested in a summary of
>let me know and I'll gladly post it.
>
>Thanks and 73,
>
>Paul Elliott N3GPU
>pelliott@flash.net
>Westminster, Maryland USA
>N3GPU Web Pages http://www.flash.net/~pelliott
>Get Your Net Working!  Unlimited Internet Access as low as $13.12 a
>month
>from FlashNet, America's premier Internet provider.  For more
>information
>and
>to sign up online visit QRV Resources, an independent FlashNet
>representative,
>at http://www.qth.com/qrv.
>

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]