[AMPS] Re: Autotune amps & the 2uH thingy

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Autotune amps & the 2uH thingy
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 16:56:19 -0500

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998 14:11:15 EST wc6w@juno.com (Radio WC6W) writes:

>On Fri, 30 Oct 1998 02:48:15 -0500 km1h@juno.com writes: > Has there
>been anything published on a real autotune amp? I do not mean
>>bandpass design such as the old Alpha's, etc.  I do not want the
>>problems of the early Collins either ( I worked on the ARC-27 !!) but
>
>>how about a cross between the old and the new. Ideally it
>>would be controlled by a PC, not an on board processor..
>>Just getting ideas for the YC-156.
>
>Hi Carl,    I found that RG-402 trick just as interesting when I first
>saw it.
>:-)
>   I am currently involved in an update of my own ridiculous amplifier
>and I may just drop one of those coils in for the sake of science.
>
>   Switching to autotune ...
>   The same Hughes piece where the coil resides is fully autotuned.
>And they also used the same techniques in a number of multistage /
>multikilowatt amplifiers of the early '60's.
>   The basic layout had individual tuned grid - tuned plate stages
>with each individually neutralized plus some of the higher power
>models
>employed RF feedback around the last two stages to reduce distortion.
>
>   They employed a diode descriminator to sense proper tuning with the
>input coupled through a little toroid from one leg of the grid tank
>and the reference signal injected via a capacitive divider from the
>plate circuit.   The theory is that when the stage is in tune there
>will be a 180 degree difference between the plate and grid signals.
>By picking off the input from one leg of the input tank you get a free
>90 degree phase shift at resonance which makes the descriminator
>output zero when the
>stage is in tune.
>   There were a number of presets selected by sensing the input
>frequency to force the tuning fairly close before enabling the
>autotune servos so as to allow reasonable range & gain in the servo
>amps and also avoid the
>obvious problem of harmonic locking.
>    They also have a loading comparator circuit, similar to that
>employed in a number of  Collins designs ( the 30S1 comes immediately
>to mind),
>for sensing and adjusting the load capacitor via servo.
>   All of these servo amplifiers were of chopper design, likely
>directly
>using the 400 Hz power as the switching rate in the airborne units.
>   I think that all of these techniques can be found in the
>professional literature of the '50's if you dig deep enough!   The
>only amateur reference I can recall would be in "Amateur Single
>Sideband" by Collins Radio, 1962.  They describe the tuning & loading
>methodology in chapter
>4, sections 10 B & C respectively.
>
>   I'm not familiar with the ARC-27... is this the same scheme?
>   In my 4CX1500B linear, built around 10 years ago, I have stepper
>motors, driven by a sine drive under microprocessor control, direct
> [...]

That is some great info Marv...gotta save that one to the printer!

The ARC-27 was a Collins 200-400MHz airborne TX from the 50-60's era.
Select  a channel from the remote head and wait a minute while all the
motors did their thing. Always in for repair!  Actually it was a nice TX
when it worked correctly and some selections were very fast. Thankfully
the main unit was remoted since the noise and dials spinning was
distracting.

73   Carl  KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]