[AMPS] Re: SV: G2DAF

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: SV: G2DAF
From: LOMAX1@prodigy.net (frank ayers jr)
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 18:33:32 -0500
Carl wrote -
>Actually I would probably prefer a tube that requires an IPA. Then I
>could operate with enough power to be heard most of the time and then
>kick in the big amp when necessary.....
>I run a 1200W tetrode amp on 6M and drive with 12-15W. It is a a real
>pain at times to work locals, etc with the low power and yet the 1200W is
>overkill.

That's part of my logic in going with 8877's for my wintertime VHF amp
projects. Also, my DEM transverters do nicely at 10 - 20 w out. I think I
would do better to leave it at 10 watts, run it into a linear 10 to 100
watt IPA, then into an 8877 than to try to run a 4CX1600B or the like at
800 watts out because it's starved for drive.

Frank
W2FCA