[AMPS] ALPHA 78 VERNIER HELP

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ALPHA 78 VERNIER HELP
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 10:07:38 -0500

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 23:58:34 -0600 Turkisher Dan-CSLC82
<CSLC82@lmpsil02.comm.mot.com> writes:

>The main tune/load variables on my Alpha 78 were real tight and
>sticky.
>
>I squirted a small amount of light oil in the bearings and now the
>knobs
>mostly just turn without turning the capacitors. The only way I can
>reliably
>tune the caps is by grabbing the edges of the chrome calibration dials
>and
>turning them...awkward, slow, and uncomfortable.
>
>What did lubing the bearings do? Is there a way to correct this
>seemingly
>innocent damage?
>
>Thanks and 73
>
>Dan
>K0DAN

Those reduction drives were likely made by Jackson Brothers and they
eventually wear out....similar drives are used in many other amps and
tuners. I have replacements in stock. Private E-Mail me for info.

Oil was the worst thing to use. The bearings are grease packed and the
oil just causes loss of viscosity. A sometimes functional cure for sticky
drives is to heat them up ( just a bit) with a propane torch, hair dryer,
etc in order to get the grease loosened up and fully covering the ball
bearings again.

73  Carl  KM1H

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]