[AMPS] Swan 1200X

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Swan 1200X
From: nospam4me@juno.com (Skip S Isaham)
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 00:13:43 EST
re: swan 1200x
Hello,
[snip]
:The Swan 1200X is capable of 500-600 watts pep.  It is intended for SSB
duty
:only.

It can be used in CW or linear operation at much reduced ratings. (my
manual said so)

:The 8950's are rare but can be replaced by another less expensive
:tube (I don't have the number) by rewiring the existing 12 volt
filaments to
:use 6 volts.

The 6HF5 is the close relative, but the 8950 was actually designed for RF
service and has more gain. You could also retro the 6LQ6/6JE6 in the
socket because they are easier to find, but more work to complete. Both
the mentioned will require an adjustment of the bias.

:The closets Svetlana tube is the EL509. It is possible the the
:1200x can be converted to use them.  Svetlana has an article on its web
:regarding conversion of the Dentron GLA1000, which also uses 4 sweep
tubes.
:The 1200x does not require 220v to operate.  The selling prices I have
:observed for the 1200x over the last year are $200 to $350 depending on
:condition.
:Regards,
:Doug Person -- W4DXV

Unless your handy at finding NOS tubes, the Svetlana EL-509 is your best
alternative. The price on the Dentron and Swan amplifiers are quickly
crashing down for units with poor condition tubes. I paid $100 for my
last one.

cheers
skip may  wv6f
nospam4me@juno.com
http://pilot.ucdavis.edu

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]