[AMPS] joints

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] joints
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:52:33 -0500

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998 16:58:52 -0000 Peter Chadwick
<Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com> writes:
>Carl,
>

>       >I would think that a good hobby and crafts 4% silver solder
>would
>be
>       >superior. I use that mix here for most QRO RF work,
>particularly at
>VHF
>       >where I have had regular solder melt while debugging a tank
>circuit.
>
>Is that the high temperature silver solder, or the low temp (220deg C)
>2%
>silver soft solder?

I said 4% not 2% . Peter I think the 2% stuff is what the envirowackos
have forced on several states for copper plumbing use.

I have no idea  what the melting temp is Pete. It is not mentioned on the
package but I can say it takes considerably more effort from a 140W
Weller gun to melt compared to the regular  60/40 stuff.
My standard shop gun is an ancient 100/140W Weller and for silver
soldering I usually wind up with the larger  240/325W  D-55 model . When
I get real serious I fire up the old 175W straight iron or the propane
torch.

73  Carl  KM1H

r>