[AMPS] Screen regulation

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Screen regulation
From: n2bc@ibm.net (Bill Coleman N2BC)
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 11:14:26 -0500
OK guys, I started a long series of posts with my last question about
regulating a 1KV screen supply for a 4-1000 in AB1.   I've tried a lot of
your ideas, but mostly have turned a handful of sand-state stuff into
puddles of silicon.

The screen supply itself is overkill, it's easily capable of 500W
continuous, resonated choke input.

To make a long story short, I think my supply may be stiff enough. I don't
have access to fancy test equipment so I'm just looking for your thoughts on
this.   The supply is heavily loaded (6K ohm bleeder). When I add an
additional 6K bleed (160ma load) I get a 50V drop (1000 -> 950).  Clearly
this is not any kind of a dynamic load.  On the plus side, the variac I'm
using for testing is a pretty wimpy job. In the final installation I'll be
using a much huskier variac and the primary side will be stiffer running the
transformer on 220V.

I'm mostly a CW OP but I don't want to be known for a horrible SSB signal
the few times I run this mess in AB1.

So, what-cha think?   is 5% regulation acceptable on the screen of a 4-1000
in AB1?

Time to start cutting sheet metal for the RF deck.

THX for listening,  73 Bill  N2BC