[AMPS] HV Capacitors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HV Capacitors
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 23:45:03 -0500

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998 17:16:32 -0000 "john" <john@servoflame.co.uk> writes:
>Hi All
>Picking up on John, ZS5JF's comments re HV multi-layer disc capacitors
>in place of silvered mica - are these ok for RF? Farnell and RS do a
>range of HV resin dipped disc ceramic capacitors up to 15 kV which are
>not expensive. I am wanting to build a high power, low pass filter for
>a 8877 6m linear and had considered these but was unsure if they were
>ok for RF. Other than this I was considering door-knob caps but these
>are not easily available at reasonable prices in the UK.
>
>Any advice and comments would be appreciated.
>
>73s John G0EVT

Silver micas are still readily available in the US.
Mouser carries a reasonable collection of 500V and ARCO still produces
them.

Amp Supply used a Teflon insulated disc cap but I never did find out the
source; they ran up to about 12KV or so.
Ameritron uses a pair of 1000pf  7.5KV discs in parallel and they seem to
work just fine at 1KW out of an AL-80B, no overheating noted.

Apparently there are sources but the manufacturers seem to protect them
from the mere mortals that would dare to build instead of buy.

73  Carl  KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]