[AMPS] 3-500Z - Where to buy them?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3-500Z - Where to buy them?
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 21:59:06 -0800
>US-made 3-500Z and 4-400A/C tubes: Triton Services of Easton,
>Pennsylvania--which acquired the EIMAC Glass Tube Division (and the
>original equipment and technology) a couple of years ago--now is producing
>3-500Z and 4-400A/C tubes to the original EIMAC specs.

?  If you purchase a 3-500Z and you would like to test it for defective
anode-cooler spotwelds, slap the tube firmly into the palm of your hand a
few times.  The deceleration force thereby produced tests the strength of
the anode welds.  If the anode cooler tilts from the impact, it has
defective welds.  .  .  I performed this test on two Chinese tubes and on
two Eimac tubes produced in California in the 1970s.  None of the anodes
bent.  Out of five tubes produced at Eimac's SLC plant, four proved to
have defective spotwelds.
-  Bad spotwelds can be spotted by inspection.  If the spotweld-craters
appear ragged, they are probably good.  If the craters are clean and
smooth, the welds are probably defective.
-  later

Rich...