[AMPS] 1296 EME Amp project. . . .

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 1296 EME Amp project. . . .
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 10:54:06 -0500

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998 19:14:24 -0600 f117ab@ameritech.net writes:

>Hi all. . .
>>I have located a kb2ah type RF deck of the 4 hole variety. It looks
>>like my Winter project is defined. Since I won't be on the air for
>eme
>>(at least not with a big antenna) until spring I can get fancy
>>building up the amp. Any one got recommendations/spare hdwr for the
>HV
>>(1.6KV@1A)PSU? I have a couple of HV rectifiers and a 50uF 3KV oil
>cap
>>for starters.

1A ??  Thats a bit overkill. And so is 1600V if you expect decent tube
life. One xfmr that may work for you is the Dentron Clipperton L. HV is
640/1010AC RMS @ 600ma CCS and it has 6.3V @ 16A plus 12V @ 2A. Enough
xfmr for HV, bias, filaments, relays. You can expect around 1300VDC key
down in a FWB with that filter cap. The 640V tap can be useful for
testing or non water cooled use.  Current Dahl price is $185. Get a Dahl
catalog and you may find other choices.

I have thought about getting one of the Harbach
>>rectifier/meter boards and capacitor assemblies. 'sorta build an
>SB220
>>PSU with a lower voltage transformer

Harbach stuff is good but you can build a lot cheaper. Start with CDE
381LX series caps from Mouser, some 100K 5W metal oxide equalizing
resistors, 1N5408 diodes, etc. If you go that route ur well under $50 for
the complete PS ( minus xfmr) and add a few more $ for bias parts.

- or the same transformer but
>run
>>117VAC in the 220 windings. Bias should be fairly easy via 2n3055
>>transistors for each tube. Filament transformers shouldn't be
>>difficult to find (6V 1A each tube). I don't have good T/R relays at
>>23cM so recommendations/junk box input would be most welcome.

Transco Y relays are $25-30 at flea markets, etc.  Totsu has some good
ones also but they are hard to find used.  At 23cm stay away from BNC
connectors.

73  Carl  KM1H

>>432 is going to be put on the back burner until mid Summer.
>>Art  k9xf en52wc
>

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]