[AMPS] TX Ant/RX Ant Gain and Noise...again

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] TX Ant/RX Ant Gain and Noise...again
From: nx7u@primenet.com (Scott Townley)
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 21:04:51
Well, I don't enjoy this but

MEA CULPA

My statements regarding S/N and horizontal directivity were incorrect.

Review of the CCIR report I cited (CCIR 322-2) has a specific paragraph
regarding directivity and polarization effects on received noise, noting
that some measurement locals showed improvement using directional antennas,
but some did not.  Further a statement is made that theoretically there
should be no difference.

And considering the definition of antenna gain, that has to be correct that
it makes no difference.  Now, it still may make a *local* difference, but
wrt "isotropic" noise there is no S/N boost.

My apologies to the lists for speaking too quickly.

Scott Townley
nx7u@primenet.com
Collector of:
        Stoddard Aircraft EMI/RFI receivers and accessories
        Big Parts for that Big Linear Amp
        70's era RF test equipment HP/GR/Tek
        Radio-related technical reference material 1940+
        ...anything else that will keep me off the streets at night