[AMPS] To Ten-Tec Inc, et al, Re: Titan II

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] To Ten-Tec Inc, et al, Re: Titan II
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 08:53:28 -0800

>    Recommendation:
>

>    My experience with several commercial amps  has driven home one
>serious design weakness common to most brands. This is severe PA tank
>circuit resonance drift caused by heat instability in the fixed padder
>caps used to tune the tanks down to the low bands (most often 80 and 160
>meters).

?  Amen to that, Roy.

>    Transmitting ceramics simply do not have the stability to be
>incorporated in this demanding application.

?  Some transmitting ceramic capacitors are temp. stable.  Some are not.
Values over 200pF are usually not temp. stable.

>During "heavy duty" operating,
>the heat given off by the PA tubes in the tank compartment causes violent
>drift in the ceramic caps.

?   A quick look at the mfg. specs and some calculations typically
reveals that the RF current rating is grossly being exceeded.  The reason
why is semi obvious.  A commonly needed Load-C padder for 160m is 1000pF,
so the designer parks his brain and selects a 1000pF, 5000vdc doorknob.
However, there are two gotchas.  At 1.8MHz, the current rating of the
cap. is c. 2a, which is typically about 20% of the current encountered in
a 1500w tank. -  so naturally the capacitor gets very hot, very fast.
And, the temp. coefficient is "X5U"  which roughly translates as only a
bozo uses this sucker in a tuned circuit.

>This in turn detunes the tank, causing more
>plate dissipation to occur which further heats the caps,

?  semi-true.

>and so on. In
>other words, a vicious, destructive cycle exists which is absolutely
>objectionable. I believe some heating is also internal to the caps
>themselves, generated by the dielectric in this high RF current service.

?  agreed

>    I have had to replace all such caps in my amps with their stable
>counterparts: namely, xmitting micas. I realize they are hard to find and
>are expensive and take up more space. But they are absolutely
>necessary

?  We gotta pay attention to mfg. current ratings on All transmitting
capacitors, whether they be mica or ceramic.

>--unless the variables themselves are "big" enough to tune all
>the way to 160 meters. (Also not cheap, I know).
>
>    We are willing to pay more; please refrain from using ceramics in the
>Titan II. And make known  this good feature in your advertisements.
>
>    Thanks & 73,     Roy     K6XK

?  This is seemingly The sticky wicket, Roy.  The same amplifier
"experts" who failed to perform the necessary AC circuit analyses (for
whatever reason), who ignored  capacitor current ratings, - and didn't
know that K5U means crapola temp. stability -  are typically prepared to
argue that they made an  "exactly correct"  decision, for years if
necessary.   .   At the risk of boring those who read "The Nearly Perfect
Amplifier",(Jan. 1994 *QST*), I believe that a mfg. who took care of the
laundry-list mentioned in the article - and said so in his advertising -
would quite probably  gain a reputation as "the Toyota of amplifier
manufacturers".    .  .  .//   Yo,  editor Mark and publisher Dave.
When was the last time a *QST* Product Review measured the
filament-voltage and filament inrush current in an amplfier?  Has there
even been a first time?   . I'll bet a large pizza with five toppings and
salad bar that when *QST* reviews the new 'improved' MFJ .amps. with
RF-actuated Tx/Rx bias switching, that the IMD test is performed with a
2-tone instead of with human speech.   .
-    I think I'm gonna puke.

Rich...