[AMPS] big or small amps, we're all hams

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] big or small amps, we're all hams
From: johnf@futurenet.co.za (John Fielding)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 19:55:51 +0200
I agree on the inaccuracies in some of the ARRL publications.  The same
errors are reprinted year after year without apparently anyone checking
the subject matter.  I am the first to admit that most, if not all of
the errors, are due to mistakes in the typesetting, after all the
humble printer is not a degreed engineer, but I thought the "galleys"
are supposed to be sent to the original author for approval.

I came across a classic mistake today in the ARRL Microwave
Experimenters Handbook in the section dealing with Cavity amplifier
design.  As I was wishing to refresh my memeory, at the same time as
building a new 23cm PA, I took the example which was skimpily worked
out and double checked the calcs.  Just as well as I would been several
10's of $$ out of pocket with scrap metal because of a simple error in
the calcs. It cannot even be called a typo as the correct answer to one
part was 37,7 ohms and 3 lines further on it somehow became 34,94 ohms?

I may have an old edition but I am not sufficiently wealthy to buy
every new edition when it comes out.

John    ZS5JF

----------
To: <amps@contesting.com>

To: <amps@contesting.com>
> > > Date: 25 January 1999 10:07
> > >

> > > I realize that the heat may have passed, but I just wanted to
> comment
> > on
> > > one sentence that I read this morning:

> > building
> Rich
> elmering.

> > any ham
> > >
> > > The theory and practice of RF power amplifiers are identical,
> whether
> > it's
> > > 100 watts or 100 Megawatts. Pi networks, tubes, HV power
supplies.
> It
> > all
> > > scales up or down. Ohms law always seems to work. Maybe corona
> creeps
> > in,
> > > but other than that.....
> > >
> > > I don't particularly believe that it is irrelevent, or I would
not
> > have
> > > even mentioned what I build for my own career thing.  I could
just
> > sit here
> > > talking about my modified SB220 (it does work, and has the same
mods
> > that
> > > most hams chat about here) but I thought something more
interesting
> > to most
> > > amplifier builders would be other units, that use the EXACT same
> > > prinicipals as the 1500 watters. In 1978 I built/modified an 829B
> > amplifier
> > > on two meters. Yuk! But I learned from that old piece. Most of
the
> > advice
> > > that I read from a number of very knowledgeble RF experimenters
> here,
> > > agree with. Which is exactly why I don't like to waste bandwidth
on
> > the
> > > Internet complaining, or shooting down other peoples circuits.
> When a
> > less
> > > experienced amplifier builder asks a question, which may be
common
> > > knowledge to 'experts', hams take the time to reply, and the
> > requester gets
> > > a variety of answers, to sort through. Usually, if one reads
them,
> > there is
> > > a common middle ground answer than can be distilled.  Funny, I
never
> > even
> > > looked to see ham calls, or what the power level is. I do not try
> and
> > > police what someone will use RF power for, as a number of people
> here
> > use
> > > RF in their work. I have met a lot of people here, who do bigger
RF

http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm