[AMPS] (and CW Relevance)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] (and CW Relevance)
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 16:22:18 -0500

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 07:36:34 -0800 dan hearn <dhearn@ix.netcom.com>
writes:

>Well said Tom. You have a knack for getting to the heart of the
>matter. How
>many VHF distance records are made using SSB?

None that I know of and I believe I still hold one of the USA 70cm tropo
records on CW of course.
The 108 countries I have on 6M all during the solar cycle minimum have
been mostly on CW as well as the 272 overall on 160M.

How many EME contacts
>are made
>by modes other than CW? In WW2 there were cases of POW's tearing up
>radios
>to  make QRP CW transmitters and working outside. Could you make a
>SSB
>transmitter out of those parts? Not likely.

Could you make a CW xmtr from a modern rice box if you had no mike, key
or schematic when in the field under emergency condx?  I doubt even many
Extras could. The No-Coders would all be off looking for a therapy class
or a lawyer so they could sue God for putting them in the situation.

You have read of pilots
>and
>others sending CW by using the mike button to key broken am
>transmitters in
>emergencies or sending cw with their auto horns. If you don't
>understand CW
>you can't do any of these things.

Been there, done it , when crash landed in Kenya in a Beechcraft Bonanza.
Guided the rescuers in with CW from a flashlight. No hams at the other
ends but they all knew CW.
The pilot and I (naturally) both survived and we found out later that the
AM modulator tube had broken on impact. King Radio xcvr if memory serves.

Agreed completely

Emergency communication means more
>than
>turning on your HT and working through the local repeater.

Yep but is a big part of the equation and usually at the focal point.

73, Dan,
>N5AR

73  Carl  KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]