[AMPS] morse code on ships

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] morse code on ships
From: zeitler@ibm.net (zeitler@ibm.net)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 23:54:57 -0800

>>Now, a new question ...can a ship maintain satelite communications when
>>it is listing 30 degrees or the stern is under water?
>>
>>73  Carl  KM1H

The answer is without question YES-YES and YES!! I am an active duty US Navy
electronics technician Chief Petty Officer and I can tell you that all of
the shipboard satellite communication systems we use have gyro-stablized
platforms that keep the movement of the antenna platform itself to virtually
zero degrees in the x, y, and z axis.  This is why the comms are so
reliable. We only need 10 watts or so of RF out to obtain reliable comms
(except for SHF). The radioman have a habit of "cranking out the power".
They feel that the more, the better. sort of like building that
4CXten-million amp.

Mid-life career change--full time student now studying to be a nurse in the
Navy Nurse Corps after 13 1/2 years as an ET.

See ya'

Lane
Ku7i