[AMPS] coil form plastics

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] coil form plastics
From: w4eto@rmii.com (Richard W. Ehrhorn)
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 15:06:34 -0700
Hi Ian & all...

For what it's worth, my experience is that Delrin is an excellent rf
insulator, with very low loss at least in the HF range. It has reasonable
mechanical stability (like nylon and unlike teflon) and machineability. We
successfully used Delrin tank coil supports in thousands of Alpha amps.

I've also used relatively short lengths of 1/2 - 3/4" diameter Delrin for
end insulators on half-wave dipoles handling ~1.5 kW, and had no apparent
problem with moisture absorption, arcing, or UV absorption even at fairly
high altitude (W0ID is at 10,700 feet ASL). Antenna applications, however,
were all at or below 7.3 MHz and none was kept up longer than 2-3 years.

I think Delrin's main limitations for amplifier use (HF) are it's
relatively low softening/melting temperature - lower than nylon - and
relatively low ignition temperature, combined with the fact that the stuff
burns with clouds of thick, oily black smoke. We darned near burned down
ETO a decade or so ago when somebody built a burn-in rack for electrolytic
filter caps, using Delrin to support the current-limiting resistors. One of
the resistors evidently failed in the middle of an overnight burn-in and
ignited the Delrin framework. Actually flames weren't a factor, but the
smoke is nasty. Even so, it cleans up quite easily with a good detergent or
solvent.

Of thousands of amps using Delrin coil supports, we had only a couple of
Delrin ignitions, and those clearly were caused by rf arcs NOT attributable
to the Delrin. I know of no case where Delrin was ignited by self-heating
due to dielectric loss. In my judgment it's a practical and useful material
for HF applications as long as ambient temperature (including heat from
windings it contacts, etc.) is below ~100 deg. C.

Ian, your point about losses in Delrin perhaps increasing rapidly with
temperature is one I hadn't thought of and bears investigation. Do you have
any relevant data or experience for a starting point?

73 & great DXing to all,

Dick   W0ID