[AMPS] testing under load HV DC

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] testing under load HV DC
From: jtml@lanl.gov (John T. M. Lyles)
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 13:19:29 -0700
Last summer we bought some power supplies for 20 KVDC, 2 Amps average, 20
Amps pulsed rating. We bought 5 or 6 of them, and they are plate voltage
for our IPA stages in our 200 MHz RF plant, for the Burle 4616 tetrodes.

We wanted to test the power supplies dynamically, not just an average DC
current, but a peak current similar to the pulsed RF amplifier load. So we
developed a gadget that uses a 4CW100,000D (have a bunch of them lying
around surplus from an old modulator). The tube is our variable resistor,
and the plate ties to the power supply. Screen and grid are provided from
small supplies, and we have a pulser driving the grid into conduction.
Works very well, needs water flowing in the tube of course. Its a waste of
a tube, but these tubes are considered dogs to us, for high freq RF we
prefer using the 4CW50,000/100,000/150,000E series if we are using
CPI-Eimac bottles.

John
K5PRO