[AMPS] Tube rating question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Tube rating question
From: W8IK@ibm.net (Joe Subich, W8IK/4)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 23:09:05 -0500

> I don't think they're talking about class A, are they?  If an
> amplifier were 65% efficient, I would expect to be able to get
> around 1200 watts from this much plate disssipation.  What am
> I missing here?

The 750 watts is "useful power output," i.e. output after plate
circuit losses.  The real kicker is the MAXIMUM rated plate
current of .6 Amps.  With Max E and Max I that's 1350 max watts
input or maybe 875 watts out at 65% efficiency.  I suspect this
is one tube limited by cathode emission capacity.

73,
   ... Joe Subich, W8IK/4  ex-AD8I
       <W8IK@IBM.NET>