[AMPS] Care and feeding of your Eimac 3-500

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Care and feeding of your Eimac 3-500
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 14:29:36 +0000
Rich Measures wrote:

>There is some useful info. for linear amplifier builders.    However,
>much of the book is devoted to nonlinear amplifiers.

That's true - it was written in the class C age and doesn't really get
to grips with linear amplifiers.

>The lack of
>explanation in certain areas is frustrating.  *Care and Feeding...* is
>undoubtedly in need of rewriting..

Well, even Eimac realise that, and their web site has had a "co-
operative writing project" under way for some time. Unfortunately they
seem to be going about it in entirely the wrong way.

They are looking for volunteers to take on chapters, but these are the
same chapters as before. There's a partly-revised sample chapter, but
it's merely a re-working of the old material - right down to using the
same section numbers.

In other words they have ruled out any significant re-structuring of the
book to deal with the advances of the last 32 years.

Also they are inviting writers to contribute material for free (or in
the hope of "a small gift") but at no obligation to themselves. The
"legal information" page is even more one-sided.

I hate to be negative about it, and would love to help re-write C&F -
but not on those terms.

Last time I looked, the project hadn't moved forward for well over a
year, so maybe Eimac need to think again.

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek