[AMPS] more poor mans chimneys and glassware

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] more poor mans chimneys and glassware
From: phil@vaxxine.com (Phil T. (VE3OZZ))
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 09:55:47
Just to add a little more to this, I had six chimneys for the 4-1000 made
here last year by a glass blower at a university.  After examining the
original chimney he told me it was Pyrex and went on to tell me more than I
can remember about why Eimac would have chosen Pyrex over soft glass for
this application.  Heat and expansion coefficients were two things but
there was more to it than that.

If a few of you need chimneys and get together on it, you can go to a glass
blower and get the best price per chimney by getting him to make as many
chimneys as he can get out of a Pyrex tube.  They buy these in 4 foot
lengths.  If he has to buy the tube just for you, and you only want one or
two chimneys,  the cost per chimney obviously rises.  In my case, 6 inch
Pyrex tube (for the 4-1000 chimney) wasn't a stock item in his lab, so he
had to order one for the job.  I told him to make as many chimneys as he
could get out of the tube.

Be careful with the glass blower you choose.  Blowers that work with soft
glass (neon sign tube, decorative items, jars, etc) are out there by the
hundreds.  But if they only have experience with soft glass,  they likely
won't be able to do much with Pyrex.  Find a blower that works with quartz
glass or Pyrex.  I wouldn't have known that there would be any difference
until my experience last year with the chimney's.  Its akin to assuming
that everyone that works in the "electronics field" is capable of easily
fixing a color TV and designing a pulse radar (they're both electronics
aren't they ?).  Its sasme for glass blowers...and every other field of
endevour in the world.

Phil