[AMPS] Re: Sub-panels

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Sub-panels
From: Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 20:02:08 -0500
>>> Why ?  This is puzzling to me.  I have never seen a breaker that
required
>you to make a connection to neutral except for a GFI type breaker.  Is this
>what you're using ?  Perhaps, if you're not using GFI breakers, the surge
>protector uses the neutral as the grounded conductor against which is
>measures the surge - rather than shunting it as you say.  This deserves
more
>investigation.

>>>Again, your description of the surge protectors confuses me.  What are
>they ?

I found the instruction sheet, but the manufacturer's name and model number
are not on it. I got them from a local electrical supply house. As I recall,
they're made by some well-known manufacturer like GE or something. Here are
some relevant quotes from the instructions:

"Optimum surge protection results when the device is used in service
entrance panelboards which have a short length of conductor back to the
service. When used in remote panelboards, surge protection is degraded
because of the additional impedance resulting from the added length of the
grounded service conductor back to the service."

"[after a not-too-informative description of the surge arresters inside the
breakers:] Since these arresters are connected through their host circuit
breakers to both of the panelboard main bus bars, surge protection is
provided for all of the wiring and electrical equipment connected to the
panelboard circuits."

"[after a description of the standard procedure for installing a panel
breaker:] The white wire must be connected to the closest possible neutral
bar wire opening. Any excess wire length, sharp wire bends, kinks or coils
in this wire will degrade surge arrester performance."

"NOTE: This device is suitable for use only in panelboards with gounded
neutrals. Do not reverse-feed or back wire..."

73, Dick, WC1M