[AMPS] IT WORKS!!!

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] IT WORKS!!!
From: w4eto@rmii.com (Richard W. Ehrhorn)
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 19:46:20 -0700
Hi Jon...

Congratulations! But I suspect you can squeeze another 5-10% efficiency out
of it with more work. I mean, we're never satisfied, are we?

I didn't participate in earlier discussions of gg efficiency but for what
it's worth, with tubes such as 8874 or 3CX800A7 at ~2.4 kV or an 8877 @
3.4kV I'd be disappointed if the apparent efficiency = Po/(HV x Ip) wasn't
60-65% up through at least 20m, 55-60% through 15m & at least 50% on 10m.

Been so long since I built single-band gg 4-1000A finals for multi-multi
contesting that I can't remember exact performance, but it shouldn't differ
greatly from the above figures. Biggest causes of low efficiency we found:
1) insufficient Q in the tuned cathode input circuit to keep harmonic
content down (potential problem on any band) and 2) excessive loaded Q in
the output pi net, OR low UNloaded Q of the pi inductor, typical problems
on 12-10m.

73,  Dick