FW: [AMPS] 87A Ip Meter Problem (long)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: FW: [AMPS] 87A Ip Meter Problem (long)
From: w4eto@rmii.com (Richard W. Ehrhorn)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:57:38 -0700
Hi Dick...

You're absolutely right - when HV is physically disconnected from both
tubes' anodes, it's just really improbable that those mystical little gold
balls we so often hear about -- the ones that infest the tubes of every amp
not fitted with one specific type of equally-mystical parasitic suppressors
-- it's just really improbable that they can cause the tube(s) to draw 75
mA of Ip!

In fact, through 29 years of shipping thousands of amps using 8874/
3CX800A7/8877 class triodes, I've personally NEVER seen a tube draw more
than a few hundred uA of Ip under "cutoff" bias conditions. For a while
about 25 years ago, an occasional 8874 (old or new) developed
heater-to-cathode leakage, which in turn pulled down the bias supply so
that the tube(s) would draw Ip in standby. But of course the tubes weren't
actually under cutoff bias, and problem was defective cathode construction
- not gold balls.

I'm no expert on electrical minutia of the 87A control system, but my guess
is you're right about the Ip indication being an artifact, probably related
to the op amp or related circuitry - an annoyance but nothing to worry
about. And definitely not a tube problem. Carl is the right guy to talk to
at Alpha/Power - but W0UN owned two 87A's long before taking over the helm
there, so he's quite familiar with the amp first-hand, too. John is in BV-
land this week but should be back at work in Longmont by next Monday or
Tuesday.

Good luck & 73,    Dick  W0ID   (formerly W4ETO)