[AMPS] Follow Up on the SB-220 Follow UP

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Follow Up on the SB-220 Follow UP
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 99 09:27:04 -0600
>Here's the setup; the amp was on in standby on 10m, multi-meter in the
>Relative Power setting and in SSB mode. Immediately after the loud snap

[snip]

>So here we go again. Do I chuck Harbach's grid parasitic suppression and
>return to Heath original, ground the grids directly or apply someone else's
>grid parasitic suppression kit?? or.......nah, that would be to easy.

Walter,

I seriously doubt changing the parasitic suppressors back to Heath's,
AG6K's, KM1H's or whomever's will solve your problem.  Something else is
amiss.  It would be very hard indeed for an amp to oscillate in standby
mode w/o being keyed since it is cut-off.  So the parasitic suppressors
aren't likely the problem.

Perhaps there is an intermittent short somewhere you haven't found.  I
had that happen in my amp just as I was finishing it up.  All of a sudden
all of my tubes started drawing idle plate current w/o being keyed!
Turns out it wasn't a parasitic but a short in my filament metering
circuit that I hadn't noticed.  Took me the better part of a whole
evening to find.

73,

Jon
KE9NA