[AMPS] More on the SB220

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] More on the SB220
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:01:31 -0500

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:31:43 -0500 "Walter Fairclough"
<wfairclo@netcom.ca> writes:

>Checked out the SB-220 this morning for damage. The only component
>that blew
>was the 0.82 ohm resistor. I noticed that the resistor is of the metal
>film
>type with a 2W rating, manufactured by Phillips.

Are you sure that one or more of the bias diodes did not short? That is a
common failure mode.

 Heath manual calls
>for a
>wirewound resistor rated at 2W.  When the original big blow happened
>last
>year, I had replaced Harbach's .82 ohm 3W WW with the 2W metal film
>type. Is
>this significant?

I prefer a 2 or 3W metal oxide which can handle momentary overloads
without opening and taking out the multimeter if it is on "Grid" at the
time of failure.

>made Rich
>Measures 110V bias mod.
>
>In all the years that I spent working on high power transmitters, I
>have
>never witnessed a failure caused by a parasitic when the transmitter
>was
>powered but unkeyed. That's why I'm having a hard time accepting that
>the
>fault was caused by a parasitic. But, of course, that's not to say
>that its
>not possible.

Only in dreams where the SB-220 is concerned Walter.

73  Carl  KM1H

>I must say that mods I have done have at least prevented widespread
>damage.
>
>I'll see what the answers are regarding the resistor before I decide
>on
>making some radical changes.
>
>Walter - VE3EN
>

>Walter Fairclough
>wfairclo@netcom.ca
>

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]