[AMPS] AL-1200 QSK and IC-756 interconnections

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL-1200 QSK and IC-756 interconnections
From: flanders@groupz.net (Jerry Flanders)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 12:37:01 -0500
I have an old AL-1200 with the internal pin diode QSK option, which has
been gathering dust for the last 10 years. I used it back then with an
IC-751 on both QSK CW and RTTY

I have since replaced the 751 with a 756. I was happy with the 100 watts
for awhile but now want to get the amp going again.

I have read my AL-1200 manual (and the QSK option manual, a separate doc),
and I still don't understand exactly what connections I have to make
between the amp and the 756 to get proper amp RX/TX changeover on all the
modes. My memory isn't much help because the brain cells I used to make the
interconnect years ago are no longer functional.

On CW, It looks like I need to provide a parallel connection to the keyer
so both the amp and the 756 are keyed simultaneously. Is this correct?
(Looks like I lose the ability to use the internal keyer in the 756.)

On RTTY (and SSB also), It looks like I need to provide a separate
connection to the 756's "send" line (amp keying relay, I think).

Am I right about the above? How are you guys doing it?

Jerry W4UK