[AMPS] Need some Drake L-7 Help

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Need some Drake L-7 Help
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:20:58 -0500

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:55:36 +0000 "Joseph J. Duerbusch"
<jduerbus@marz.com> writes:

>I have a very nice Drake L-7.  It has been in storages for years and I
>just got it going this past fall.  Stock as a rock, low serial number
>of
>134.  Original tubes.
>
>Last weekend I was operating, everthing normal, full output 1200+ but
>started to smell something burning.  Not bad, like maybe something has
>fell against one of the tubes.  I finally got time to look inside.
>Using my nose, I quickly found the smell coming from the filament
>transformer.  Oh no!, but wait, it wasn't from the tranformer but a
>the
>junction of the filament transformer and filament choke.  At this
>intersection, Drake has a PC Board which the connection is made.
>There
>is also a .05 Cap to ground and a connection for the meter lamps.  It
>is
>the PC Board that is burning and making the smell.

I have repaired several L-7's that had partially shorted bypass caps C-29
and C-30. I use .01 or .02 1KV  disc ceramics for replacements. Not sure
if the .05 is too high a value or just that the L-7 had a bad lot of
caps.

>Something on one side of the of the filament transformer is drawing
>too
>much current.  I suspect a filament-to-grid short in one of the
>tubes(?).

Possible but then one or both grid chokes would be open.

>Drake cautions as not to defeat the interlock but on the L-7  the
>cabinet is closed so there is not way to see the tubes without the
>cover
>on.

Thats a real pain in the butt!  If you are comfortable around HV then
remove all of that stuff. Always treat HV with extreme caution. There is
a cabinet cover and a HV shorting interlock. To test with the cover off
both must be removed or defeated.

GL  Carl  KM1H

>So before I go any farther, I thought I would asked the "Experts".
>Any
>ideas, or comments?  BTW this junction is the same as on a SB-220 if
>you
>want to look at the SB220 Diagram on Measures WebPage.
>
>Thanks Joe KØBX
>

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]