[AMPS] Cathode Impedance Measurements

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Cathode Impedance Measurements
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 05:54:23 -0800

>In Class A, a g-g amp has an input impedance of 1/gm. What happens in Class
>AB or B is another matter. Since the gain is approximately the ratio of
>cathode volts to plate volts (because plate current is common to both
>circuits) I surmise the input impedance can be determined from   Pin/(Ek
>squared). That means settling down with the tube curves and working out the
>volts and amps over the cycle.

?   Meanwhile, back at the chassis, a rather accurate representation of
the complex Z exists --  the cathode itself.   Set C-in for a Q of
c.2/XC-in=25-ohms for each band, adj. L and C-out for a match,  adj. C-in
if needed, measure L and C-out, replace with fixed values.  Repeat for
other bands.  The End.

>Using the resistors is fine if you know the value to shoot for - as Jon did.
>If you don't, then the whole thing is probably more miss than hit. It's also
>complicated because you're relying on the tank circuit Q to keep it free
>wheeling, while for best linearity, you really want to make the feed
>impedance very high - see Pappenfus et al.

?   To make the feed Z high, a lower Mu triode could be used?

-  cheers, Peter

Rich...