[AMPS] A mystery

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] A mystery
From: af006@lafn.org (Harv Shore)
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 18:08:40 -0700
OK gents..... I know this posting has little to do DIRECTLY with the art of
amplifiers.  However, the readers of this reflector comprise a wealth of
knowledge -- and maybe some one out there will have an explanation.

This is true. I saw it myself and it was clearly and repeatably
demonstrated.

My Aunt has a 10 year old cheap table radio (you can buy them for 15.95).
She has it on the counter near the sink in her kitchen.  She noticed when
she tuned to a specific AM radio station (1230 kHz I believe) a strange
thing happens when she turns on the hot water.  With the water OFF,
reception is OK.  A reasonably good signal and the quality of the music is
as expected.  Now -- she turns on the HOT water.  As the water warms -- the
signal disappears!   By the time the water is running hot the signal has
been attenuated by an estimated  30 or 40 dB!!!!!!
Turn off the water and the signal slowly comes back as the pipes cool.

As far as I could tell this only happens on the one station.

There is no known spook in the house.

Really --- this is true!!!

Any ideas???

Harv