[AMPS] Bandpass Filtering

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Bandpass Filtering
From: w6frmarv@juno.com (marv gonsior)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 13:27:36 -0700
Hello Jon et al,

Please permit me to join the chorus of those disdaining the suggestion of
placing the BPF IN BETWEEN the exciter and the brick amplifier.  Bricks
are notorious for their non-linearity and no matter how good yours may
be, I doubt that it is as linear as your exciter. Read that distortion,
resulting in out of band energy. However, even IF its linearity is equal
to your exciter, the resulting degradation will be about 3dB.

Therefore, placing the filter at the input  the amplifier will probably
defeat much of the effectiveness of it...... this also assumes a flat 50
ohm system for the filter to perform as it is presumably designed.

GL!

Marv, W6FR

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]