[AMPS] Plate transformer, chimneys

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Plate transformer, chimneys
From: notawc@juno.com (notawc@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 17:40:17 -0400

On Sun, 02 May 1999 10:03:47 -0700 Vic Rosenthal <rakefet@rakefet.com>
writes:

> I've got just about all of the parts for my 2 x 3-500z amplifier
> except the
> plate transformer.  I haven't been able to find one of reasonable
> size and
> weight inexpensively, so I'm thinking about buying one from Dahl.

Inexpensive and Dahl do not work in the same context.

> My question
> is:  should I get a transformer for a doubler or full-wave bridge
> circuit?

A doubler in SSB/CW use offers a significant advantage over a FWB. Been
explained here too many times to go into that again.

> was planning to use a doubler and one of the SB220-replacement type
> of
> transformers, but I realized that if I'm actually going to buy a new
> one, I can
> get whatever I want.  I already have 8 240uf 450v electolytics for
> the filter; I
> can use them in either configuration.

Good values as long as they can handle the ripple current.  Cheap bargain
caps are a potential disaster.

> I want to run the amp at 3000v.  Would a bridge circuit provide a
> stiffer plate
> supply?

Not at those cap values.  For intermittent service such as SSB/CW the
doubler can actually be more efficient since it uses a larger guage
secondary wire; assuming equal KVA ratings of course. There is a lot to
be said for using capacitor storage in some applications.

> Also, I need a pair of 3-500z chimneys.  Somebody had a pair for
> sale, but I
> can't find his message. Anyone?

Ameritron uses a cut down version but they work and are cheap. BTW,
unless you are pushing for lottsa RF out a chimney is not a
requirement....good airflow is. Buy one of Harbach's high volume SB-220
fans.

> 73,
> Vic, K2VCO
> Fresno CA
>
> --

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]