[AMPS] Henry 2K2; glitch resistor in negative HV considerations

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Henry 2K2; glitch resistor in negative HV considerations
From: w4eto@rainbow.rmii.com (Richard W. Ehrhorn)
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 08:45:37 -0600
Rich, Ian & all...

Am I missing something? There's no reason for the cathode and bias circuit
to go way negative when the "glitch resistor" is in the negative HV lead
and a +HV arc occurs.

Putting the resistor in the negative lead means only that the -HV POWER
SUPPLY SIDE of the resistor goes to ~full -HV during a +HV short or arc to
ground. The cathode side of the resistor should be at or close to ground
potential for negative voltage, so that the full HV drops across the
resistor.

With grounded-grid triodes we almost always apply positive bias to the
cathode(s). A cheap, husky 1N5404 or similar diode, connected with its
cathode to the cathode end of the resistor and its anode to ground, does
the job of routing fault current to ground (and protecting cathodes & bias
supplies) quite nicely.

73,  Dick

When +HV arcs (or is directly shorted) to ground, virtually ALL the HV
appears across the glitch resistor until the arc, short, or voltage goes
away.