[AMPS] FCC Actions at Dayton

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] FCC Actions at Dayton
From: LOMAX1@prodigy.net (frank ayers jr)
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 19:52:43 -0400
>And I believe the
>FCC's rules intended to prevent use of ham amplifiers by CBers were and
are
>ineffectual and misguided.

Something I was thinking about was the 15 db gain stuff. Most 10 meter rigs
can generate 100 watts or so for an amp. But, on six meters, a lot of hams
run rigs/transverters with 10 watts or so out. Amps for over a kw (~1200w)
are gonna need 40 watts to drive them. So, we wind up with a rig run into a
brick designed for 120 watts out but throttled to 50 (and close to class C)
running into your QRO amp de jour. Presto, instant diathermy machine. Too
bad the regs wouldn't allow a nice tetrode amp with good screen regulation.
Seems that anybody who could modify a 6 meter monobander for CB could just
as well get a solid state amp kit.
Or,  buy an FT101EE.

Frank
W2FCA