[AMPS] leakage current of electrolytics

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] leakage current of electrolytics
From: phil@vaxxine.com (Phil (VA3UX))
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 10:22:35
Those numbers are "peanuts" Lane and indicate the units you tested are in
decent shape.  The manufacturer's catalogs usually include a simple formula
for calculating the expected/satisfactory leakage current for various
series in their product lines.

For example the expected leakage current for Mallory type CG capacitors is :

        I = CxVx6x10^-6 or CxVx0.000006 ma,  C in uf, V is rated max voltage, I
is
in ma.  In this case the book also states that maximum leakage is not to
exceed 4.0 ma after 30 minutes.

For Mallory type CGS and CGH capacitors the formula is I = 0.006xSQRT(CxV),
max leakage current not to exceed 6.0 ma after 30 minutes.

Formulas published by Phillips, Sprague and CDE yield similar values for
their products (in general).

If you tell me what brand and series of caps you have, I may be able to
find the specific formula for you.

Phil